How to ensure quality sleep
“I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?” – Ernest Hemingway
This week is about sleep. As psychiatrists, we see sleep issues all the time because when people get stressed or unwell, sleep is one of the first things to go awry. There are some basic hacks that we have seen work in the past that you could use to drastically improve your sleep.
1. You have to wake up at the same time every morning, even on weekends
2. Buy an alarm clock. Try to keep your cellphone out of the bedroom
3. If you have naps during the day, you should only be taking one nap that is a maximum of 25 minutes.
4. A simple one. No caffeine, no alcohol after dinnertime.
5. If you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t fall back asleep, do a boring activity.
Something not stimulating, that you’re not interested in, like a crossword puzzle and only go back to sleep when you’re tired.
If you try these hacks for about 30 straight days, you should see an improvement in your sleep cycle.